THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Our Own Little Miracle


My favorite daughter has an idiosyncrasy which drives us each nuts!

She wears size 11 shoes. Okay, really what drives us to the brink is that no one seems to stock shoes in her size. I personally know of other women with size 11 or greater feet.........WHY then can we never seem to find shoes in that size???

Her solution to this on-going dilemma is to simply wear "flip flops" whenever possible. She has them in various colors and "bling." At her last high school the students and faculty were even allowed to wear them on campus. However, certain events require a more traditional foot attire. Vocal and band performances, for example. Inevitably, on these occasions we find ourselves shopping until it hurts and even crying before a "not quite right but it will do" pair is purchased. (I'm typically apologizing to her for my part in the biology of the matter.)

This particular event was Christmas Eve service at our church. She'd found a lovely dress ensemble and "flip flops" even with the sparklies just wouldn't do........
Last Friday, I decided to "throw some money" at the problem and hit Nordstrom's department store. They have a reputation for their inventory of large sized women's shoes. With grand-daughter in tow, we hit the fancy mall. The store with the reputation for large sized women's shoes was a TOTAL blow-out. We were sorely disappointed as we tried our "luck" at several large and small shoe stores and department stores. Finally, in frustration, we split up while I went into a music store to find another elusive item. As I was paying for my Michael Crawford Christmas CD, my cell phone rang...........I should come immediately!

She had found the perfect pair to match her dress and her youthful but classy style.
I was relieved even though they cost more than I've ever paid for a pair of shoes. The mall was closing and "kid sister" hadn't gotten hers.

Saturday night (after the spa day!) we took my other favorite daughter to Payless Shoes hoping to score on her account. She found the perfect pair of shoes ONLY THEY DIDN'T HAVE THEM IN HER SIZE............sheeeesh!
The sales associate was able to locate a pair at a nearby store and have them held for us. When we arrived at the 2nd Payless shoe store to pick up the shoes, I heard my elder call me.

When I got to her, I saw that she had the most adorable pair of heels on.........."they fit, mom!!!" "and I love them!!!" I did too. I told her to get them. But as she went to put them in the box, she saw a pair of shiny blue flats that caught her attention............."Oh but I like these too". "Get them" I said without hesitation. She looked at me in shock and disbelief, had she heard me right? "I can get two pair? Do I get to keep the ones we bought last night?" Then I noticed a pair of black shiny flats just like the blue ones, "why don't you get these ones too? they'll match more outfits." The child had never heard of such a thing! Four pair of shoes in two days? In fifteen years, she's never even had four pair of shoes in one year! We walked out of the store with four pair of shoes (three for Nel and one for Angie) and a purse for less than the one pair we'd bought the night before. My girl thinks I'm crazy............but I think I'm smart. Who knows when we'll find another pair that fit her, and at $14.99 a pair I don't even care that it wasn't BOGO! My girl is happy. Her momma is happy. As far as we're concerned.....it was our own little miracle.

Oh! And "the kid sister" found the most delightful pair of first high heels. sigh.