THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

It's Over


Well, it's over again! Another season of fundraisers, Christmas events, shopping and tinsel and what seems at times like outright craziness!

This time of year also seems to be a time of reflection. Two years ago on the weekend before Christmas my husband moved out. It was a mutual decision made weeks earlier and even though I knew that it was the best decision for our family, it was still so hard to give up the fantasy of "happily ever after".

2005 was tough financially and emotionally, the legalities of divorce, a new job which took me further away from my family, even the price of gas was a tremendous stress. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I received a call from our local post office.........I almost didn't return the call. They wanted to know if they could be "Santa" for my girls. Did you know that they do that? Just some ordinary folks, looking to lend a hand at the USPS. I was too broke, too stressed, too tired. And yet I was blessed.

In 2006 the house that we lived in was sold. Our community had seen a 300% increase in real-estate prices over just a few years, and I could not afford to pay the new rent. And yet, doors were opened for our family. This Christmas as I purchased gifts for my daughters and granddaughter, I was ever so cognizant of where we have been. And ever so grateful for the provision for our family. And I am acutely and personally aware that in our nation, regular families, working families are affected by a crisis in affordable housing. For many home-ownership is a futile dream, but even renting can cause financial stress and instability.

In our tiny little apartment five "k****-girls" celebrate with a tree and trimmings and gifts. Most of all we have each other and a wonderful family. Even more, we have a Father who loves us. Enough. May you know his love more than anything this year!