THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, October 02, 2006

You Are Invited To Eavesdrop Again


I'm still "getting over" a weekend like few we get to share. Family and friends celebrating together. Well, that part is not all that unusual for our family, but this weekend was even more special. A surprise party to celebrate Dad. Family and friends came from near and far to honor one. To share stories and tears and love. To say, "thanks!". To say, "I'm glad I got you".

The party was wonderful. And yet, one of my favorite moments was behind closed doors........

After arriving at the hotel and greeting brother and sisters and their families, after hugs for a "favorite" aunt and uncle, we all got to work.........setting up, and preparing the banquet room. Then we had just enough time for a quick bite to eat and change before the guests would arrive for the party. I ran out for fast food and brought it back to the suite for my girls.

As we munched on our meal the conversation turned to the news of the day, the latest allegations relating to a certain Florida Congressman. The specific legal and ethical issues were opined by my young ladies, but I also heard phrases and discourse relating to "gerrymandering" and "constitutional law" as the table banter broadened. Even as the conversation was occurring, I realized what an honor it is.........to see young ladies who care, who are knowledgeable and who can express an opinion that is their own. Later, as I watched the other mom's with their adorable little ones..........I remembered those cherished times but with the assurance that THESE are the best moments as well.

And more are yet to come.

P.S. I love you, Dad! Happy 70th birthday!!